Great River Energy members elect directors; board elects officers
Part of being a democratically governed electric cooperative involves gathering annually and establishing the structure of the board of directors for the upcoming year.
During these annual meetings, cooperatives elect the directors — new and old — to their seats on the board and hold elections for board officers.
At the Great River Energy annual meeting on April 6, Great River Energy’s member-owners elected the 24 individuals listed below to serve a one-year term on the Great River Energy board of directors.
During the board of directors’ reorganization meeting following the annual meeting, Bob Bruckbauer (Lake Country Power, Grand Rapids) was re-elected board chair; Dale Anderson (Kandiyohi Power Cooperative, Spicer) was re-elected board vice chair; Audrey Hjelle (Runestone Electric Association, Alexandria) was re-elected secretary, and Lee York (Nobles Cooperative Electric, Worthington) was re-elected treasurer.
“Electric cooperatives serve members 24 hours a day, seven days a week — and the directors make consequential decisions that affect the membership throughout the year,” Bruckbauer said. “What makes cooperatives special is they are governed by their member-owners, who truly want to make the best decisions for their friends and neighbors.”
Each Great River Energy director is a member of the board of directors of one of Great River Energy’s Class A member-owner cooperatives.
“Cooperatives are designed to represent the values and expectations of their membership,” said Great River Energy President and Chief Executive Officer David Saggau. “The election of the Great River Energy board by our member-owner cooperatives and the board’s oversight of Great River Energy ensure that our member-owners have all have a voice in the decisions that guide our company.”
The following are the members of Great River Energy’s board of directors:
- Mike Littfin, Arrowhead Cooperative, Inc., Lutsen
- Gary Stenzel, BENCO Electric Cooperative, Mankato
- Bill Berg, Brown County Rural Electrical Association, Sleepy Eye
- Fran Bator, Connexus Energy, Ramsey
- Mark Ethen, Connexus Energy, Ramsey
- Scott Veitenheimer, Cooperative Light & Power, Two Harbors
- Margaret Schreiner, Dakota Electric Association, Farmington
- Clay Van De Bogart, Dakota Electric Association, Farmington
- Lonnie Johnson, East Central Energy, Braham
- Joe Morley, East Central Energy, Braham
- David Hernke, Goodhue County Cooperative Electric Association, Zumbrota
- Nancy Utke, Itasca-Mantrap Cooperative Electrical Association, Park Rapids
- Dale Anderson, Kandiyohi Power Cooperative, Spicer
- Bob Bruckbauer, Lake Country Power, Grand Rapids
- Craig Olson, Lake Country Power, Grand Rapids
- Mike Brasel, Lake Region Electric Cooperative, Pelican Rapids
- Randy Hlavka, McLeod Cooperative Power Association, Glencoe
- Harold Harms, Mille Lacs Energy Cooperative, Aitkin
- Lee York, Nobles Cooperative Electric, Worthington
- Lloyd Kongsjord, North Itasca Electric Cooperative, Inc., Bigfork
- Audrey Hjelle, Runestone Electric Association, Alexandria
- Greg Blaine, Stearns Electric Association, Melrose
- Gary Wilson, Steele-Waseca Cooperative Electric, Owatonna
- Michael Thorson, Todd-Wadena Electric Cooperative, Wadena