Internship & apprenticeship opportunities at Great River Energy
Great River Energy offers an internship program that provides a well-rounded experience for student interns by providing exposure to the business world, the utilities industry and our organization. This program is a part of our recruitment strategy to attract and retain a skilled, diverse and an engaged workforce.
“The entire culture that surrounds Great River Energy is what initially attracted me to pursue a position here. Everything from employees of all departments, to the ‘three R’ business model and the cooperative structure makes Great River Energy a welcoming and rewarding place to work.”Peter, former Great River Energy intern
Types of internship positions
We offer a variety of internship positions throughout our organization. These positions may be a full-time summer or a part-time position during the school year. We provide a flexible schedule that allows student to put education first. In the past ten years, Great River Energy has employed 155 students throughout our Minnesota and North Dakota locations.
- Engineering (mechanical, electrical)
- Design technician/drafter
- Forecasting & resource planning
- Energy efficiency
- Business development
- Maintenance technician
- Transmission line design
- Information technology
“I think the most rewarding aspect of my internship was meeting all the great people at Great River Energy. The knowledge and experience I gained while working one-on-one with industry professionals was invaluable—not to mention how helpful and friendly everyone is! Over the course of 2 years I was able to lay a foundation for my future career, and build lasting relationships with some pretty great coworkers!”-Jessica, former Great River Energy intern
Interested in an internship at Great River Energy?
If you have further questions, please call 763-445-5000 and ask to speak with our internship coordinator.
Apprenticeship opportunities at Great River Energy
Our apprenticeship programs date back as far as 1974. Currently, we have a Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) approved, union endorsed apprenticeship program to grow, educate and safely train employees in the power supply and transmission divisions, as well as the business operations department.
- Earn-and-learn career training: Apprentices receive practical on-the-job training
- A career: Once the apprenticeship is complete, employees are on their way to a successful long-term career with a competitive wage and high-demand skills
- National credential: When an apprentice graduates from a career training program, he or she earns a certified portable credential accepted by industries and employers across the U.S.
Apprentice positions at Great River Energy
- Business operations
- Garage mechanic
- Building and security technician/electrician
- Field services
- Relay technician/electrician
- Substation apparatus technician/electrician
- Telecommunications technician/electrician
- Meter technician/electrician
- High voltage direct current (HVDC) technician/electrician
- Transmission construction and maintenance
- Line technician
- Peaking generation
- Combustion turbine operator