Annual meeting signals the start of a new year for the board, as directors are seated and officers are elected
The Great River Energy board of directors meets monthly to provide direction on the operation of the cooperative. One time each year, however, the membership meets to review the function of the board itself.
Annual meetings, like the one held by the Great River Energy board on April 5, are one of the unique and important characteristics of the cooperative business model. Cooperatives are governed by directors who are elected from among the membership. This annual process ensures the board upholds its purpose and consists of a fair representation of the member-owners.
“Our board has a good balance of experienced directors as well as fresh faces, and we have a good working relationship with the excellent team at Great River Energy,” said Great River Energy Board Chair Bob Bruckbauer. “Every person is focused on one shared goal: making the best decisions for our member-owners.”
Great River Energy’s board of directors is made up of 22 members, with seats assigned to each of its all-requirements member-owner cooperatives. Those directors are each assigned to committees representing key functions of the cooperative, such as transmission and power supply.
During the board of directors’ reorganization meeting following the annual meeting, Robert Bruckbauer (Lake Country Power, Grand Rapids) was re-elected board chair; Margaret Schreiner (Dakota Electric Association, Farmington) was elected board vice chair; Audrey Hjelle (Runestone Electric Association, Alexandria) was re-elected secretary; and Lee York (Nobles Cooperative Electric, Worthington) was re-elected treasurer.
In addition to the officers, the following directors were elected to Great River Energy’s board:
- Mike Littfin, Arrowhead Cooperative, Inc., Lutsen
- Gary Stenzel, BENCO Electric Cooperative, Mankato
- Bill Berg, Brown County Rural Electrical Association, Sleepy Eye
- Scott Veitenheimer, Cooperative Light & Power, Two Harbors
- Clay Van De Bogart, Dakota Electric Association, Farmington
- Lonnie Johnson, East Central Energy, Braham
- Linda Laitala, East Central Energy, Braham
- David Hernke, Goodhue County Cooperative Electric Association, Zumbrota
- Nancy Utke, Itasca-Mantrap Cooperative Electrical Association, Park Rapids
- Dale Anderson, Kandiyohi Power Cooperative, Spicer
- Craig Olson, Lake Country Power, Grand Rapids
- Mike Brasel, Lake Region Electric Cooperative, Pelican Rapids
- Randy Hlavka, McLeod Cooperative Power Association, Glencoe
- Harold Harms, Mille Lacs Energy Cooperative, Aitkin
- Lloyd Kongsjord, North Itasca Electric Cooperative, Inc., Bigfork
- Greg Blaine, Stearns Electric Association, Melrose
- Gary Wilson, Steele-Waseca Cooperative Electric, Owatonna
- Michael Thorson, Todd-Wadena Electric Cooperative, Wadena