With thousands of people devastated by the effects of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, Great River Energy’s employees, board of directors and member cooperatives stepped up to help those in need.
Fourteen Minnesota line technicians traveled to Live Oak, Fla., to assist Suwannee Valley Cooperative (SVEC) with restoration efforts. Six of Great River Energy’s member cooperatives participated, including:
* Lake Region Electric Cooperative, Pelican Rapids, Minn.
* McLeod Cooperative Power Association, Glencoe, Minn.
* Meeker Cooperative Light & Power Association, Litchfield, Minn.
* Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative, Jordan, Minn.
* Stearns Electric Association, Melrose, Minn.
* Todd-Wadena Electric Cooperative, Wadena, Minn.
Great River Energy also offered to match employee contributions to the American Red Cross for hurricane recovery efforts. In total, more than $10,000 was raised to provide shelter, food and comfort to affected families.
Great River Energy’s board of directors also allocated $75,000 to help cooperative members affected by hurricanes. The board contributed $25,000 to funds dedicated to help cooperative members affected by Harvey and Irma, respectively. Great River Energy also contributed $25,000 toward four much-needed generators for Hurricane Maria relief efforts in Puerto Rico.